This Recipe can be halved.
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary and / oregano
100 g smoked streaky bacon
1 kg quality minced beef
1 kg quality minced pork
4 sticks of celery
2 heaped tablespoons tomato purée
4 x 400 g tins of plum tomatoes
350 g dried lasagne sheets
150 g mature Cheddar cheese
2 medium leeks
2 fresh bay leaves
4 tablespoons plain flour
1 litre semi-skimmed milk
1 whole nutmeg , for grating
- Strip and finely chop the rosemary leaves and finely chop the bacon.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large casserole pan on a high heat. Once hot, add the rosemary and bacon and fry for 2 minutes, or until the bacon starts to crisp up, stirring regularly.
- Add all the minced meat, using a wooden spoon to break it up as you go. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for at least 10 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Grate the Cheddar, then tip into a bowl.
- Trim and halve the carrots, dice into small pieces or add to a processor to reduce the size .
- Same process for the onions next.
- Put into the pan with the mince and add the celery.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften, stirring regularly.
- Next, add the tomato purée and plum tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon.
- Stir well and reduce the heat to low.
- Leave to simmer around 2 hours, or until thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally.
Make your WHITE SAUCE
- Trim, wash and finely slice the leeks, then add to a pan along with 2 tablespoons of oil and the bay leaves.
- Stir well and season with a tiny pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, or until sweet and softened, adding splashes of water, if needed.
- Add the flour and stir well to coat, then gradually add the milk, stirring continuously.
- Turn the heat up to medium, bring to the boil, then reduce to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened, stirring regularly.
- Add half the grated cheese and finely grate over half the nutmeg and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5.
TO BUILD YOUR LASAGNE
- Spoon a quarter of the meat into a large deep ovenproof dish (roughly 25cm by 30cm) and spread it out evenly.
- Spoon over a quarter of the white sauce, then place over some lasagne sheets, making sure they completely cover the sauce in one layer.
- Repeat this 3 times, finishing with a layer of white sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake the lasagne in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Remove the lasagne from the oven and leave to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- SERVE with a fresh green salad.
- If you do not have any Rosemary or Oregano in your garden or pantry, then have some dōTERRA essential oils in your kitchen.
- Replace the herbs with one drop of Rosemary, Oregano and Black Pepper for fullsome flavour.